American Revolution By Alan Taylor: Reading assignment
Prior to the field seminar participants will read their selected portions of the text and identify the five-ten most significant events that occurred during the era they chose during the Pre-field Seminar February meeting. Participants will complete the forms entitled “A Timeline of the American Revolution, Key Event Entry Form " SEPARATELY FOR EACH EVENT SELECTED . The form is available below AND will be shared via email with all members of the seminar. Each event must include a headline, a synopsis, an evaluation and a video or photo that best encapsulates the event. Forms inputted online will be downloaded, evaluated and graded on May 9th. Completed timelines will be referenced during the field Seminar.
- Read your selected text identify the 5-10 most significant events (and/or critical information shared) in your chosen readings. For each event gather the following dates and input them individually for each event in the forms below:
- Identify & post in the shared google spreadsheet, the year (Question A), month (Question B) day (Question C) time (Question D) when the event began. Question A is required, Question B-D are optional. All dates should be posted with numbers only i.e, 1 not 1st or one, 6 not June.
- Identify & post the ending year if there is no ending year the info is not required. All dates should be posted with numbers only i.e, 1 not 1st or one, 6 not June. (Questions E-H) for each event.
- Create, write a title for each event. Headline should be catchy, intriguing and brief. (Question J) required.
- Write and post 1 paragraph synopsis of each event. Summaries should include the following:
- Summaries should be approximately 75-125 words in length (Question K, text).
- Include a. what happened, b. who was involved, c. where it happened, d. why it happened.
- Summaries should make it clear why this event was significant.
- When appropriate include relevant quotes.
- Identify and add Media that best supports your selected event. Media entries should include:
- Supportive Media. Select and post the url of a significant photos, and/or video that best support the content, in Question L, media. Prior to submission check the supported media list HERE to ensure your media will work within the published timeline.
- Media Source. Each participant should source the support media for their summary to ensure copyright laws are not violated. Question M
- Media Caption: Write a brief caption to accompany your selected media. Question N
- Background. Set the background of the slide to a specific color or an image. See HERE for specific values and colors. Alternatively you can use the URL of an image in the Background. Prior to submission check the supported media list HERE Question 0
- Identify and post the category, or group in column Q, that best defines the event.
- It is strongly recommended that participants research and compile the information, in a separate document prior to completing the forms below. When ready to post they need only copy and paste the required information into each question.
Audio-visual instructions: creating a timeline on the Web
American Revolution Podcast
A great listen while commuting back and forth to work. The American Revolution is covered in 2.1-2.15.